The current criteria for
Listing means that the buildings are in one of the following categories:-
(a) Those built before 1700 which survive
in anything like their original condition.
(b) Most (but not all) buildings built between 1700 and 1840.
(c) Buildings of definite quality built between 1840 and 1914 including,
in particular, the principal works of the principal Architects of the
(d) A few buildings built after 1914 but more than 30 years old.
These buildings in the
village were classified as "Listed"by English heritage in 2006.
This is not a comprehensive list of all
buildings of architectural interest in the Parish.
It just happened to be the sites visited by English Heritage
during their brief visit.
Church of St John
C12 and later Church
C12. Norman nave of flint, brick and
tile coursed and with Roman brick quoins.
One Norman window in centre of north wall and north doorway surround
in brick and tile, at least partly Roman.
Tile string courses. C14 west window
with Roman tile dressings high up in wall over a C14 much restored
reticulated ogee window. C18 angle buttresses to north-west and
south-west angles. Cl5 south porch in red brick and flushwork. South
door with vine reliefs and heraldry (Arms
of Sackville) in spandrels.
South window late C14 with ogee scrolled
hood moulding. Chancel coursed as nave with Roman tiles for quoins.
East window late C14, 3 cinquefoil lights in obtusely gabled head
with 5 quatrefoils above.
Transepts and tower C19 of coursed rubble rebuilt in 1875, 1908
and 1936. South porch roof of one bay with 2 king posts, ashlared
of 4 cants and with ridge piece. South door, C15 casements and ogees,
double on each side.
||C16 farmhouse, modernised
externally. Long range, timber framed and rendered.
Central modern front door with sets of 3 transomed casements, each
gabled dormers above the eaves. Roof ridged with gables, concrete
red brick chimney stack. A wing extends to the rear. Inside; jowled
flat oak joists with haunched tenons. Oak weatherboards exist beneath
||C16 house. Timber frame,
exposd and infilled. Of 2 storeys and 2 bays with
central narrow bay with front door. Side girt with no external braces.
storey front has 2 sets of sliding sashes with 6 panes each. Roof
ridged and gabled with fly hips. Two end chimney stacks, the northern
End frame with jowled posts and carved arch braces. Inside, one oak
with fluted central muntin. Joists with diminished-haunches.
||Late C16. Late Elizabethan
house of 2 storeys projecting string at first floor
level. Flemish bonded brickwork. Gabled central porch, with modern
each side; 2 similar windows on the first storey. Roof gabled and
||C16 or C17 house. Timber
framed and rendered, on a T-plan. Two storeys and
wing at the north, with a 2-aisled range extending south. Existing
sets of 3 casements. Roofs ridged and gabled, pegtiled. Red brick
stack flanks the north wall
|Circa 1700 house, timber
framed in oak, of 3 bays. Ground floor plastered,
first floor timbers exposed. Two gabled dormer windows, ground storey
6 pane casements. Roof gabled, pegtiled; red brick chimney stack at
Inside bladed scarf-joints, forelock-bolted.
||C16 house, with hall and
one jettied crosswing. Timber framed with rendered
elevations. Hall of 2 bays with solar wing at east end. Roofs ridged
hip end at rear of cross wing, pegtiled. Chimney stack of red brick
diagonal shafts conjoined. Joists with diminished-haunches. Additions
Farmhouse. Late-C17 with mid-C20
rear extension and alterations.
Timber-framed and rendered with pitched
re-used clay pin tile roof and brick chimneystack. 3-bay, lobby-entry
|C18 barn, rebuilt with
earlier timbers. Timber framed, clad with black weatherboards.
Midstrey offcentre towards west, south facing. Roof hipped and slate
Red brick footings, Flemish-bond. Inside: tie beams on knees, primary
all oak of flat section
||C15 small house of one
and a half storeys, timber framed and pargetted, Windows
sliding sashes, 3 sets. Central front door on north elevation. Roof
and gabled, red Tudor brick chimney stack to east of centre; pilastered.
heavy arch brace to hall tie beam, rebate for north hall window
Circa 1660-1700 house. Timber framed
now rendered; formerly weatherboarded.
Windows all modern. Frame good, oak, with cyma and roll chamfer
Roof ridged, central red brick chimney
(Nos 1 and 2)
|C16 hallhouse, timber
frame with renderedelevations. Two tenements. Three
bays, hall formerly the 2 eastern bays. Crown post roof. Windows now
casements. Roof thatched, with central red brick chimney stack. First
of elm, intruded.
||C16 house timber framed
incorporated in complex plan behind C18 and C19 elevations.
West front of red brick in Flemish bond, of 3 bays and 2 storeys with
band at first floor. Ground storey windows hornless sashes 6-pane
and margin sashes straight gauged brick arches and blind recess in
First storey 3 pairs of sash windows with curved gauged heads. Roof
and slate clad with 3 red brick chimney stacks. Numerous extensions,
2 to north
with sham timbers externally.
The Old House
|C16 house, timber framed
and plastered of 2 storeys with jettied front wall.
Central front door on the ground storey with one pair of 6-pane sliding
windows on tile left. First storey has a wide much altered window
and a pair of 6 pane sliding sashes at tile right end. Roof ridged,
the left and hipped to the right. Red brick chimney stack with 3 sloping
against gabled end. Little altered.
Early C19 front to 2 earlier parallel
wings to rear forming a 'U' plan. The
north front of gault brick with central door under a rectangular
fanlight, of 2 storeys and 3 window range. Four 6-pane sashes on
ground storey and two 8-pane sashes on first tstorey with central
pair of 6 panes.
Roof hipped and slate clad.
The 2 rear elevations have a good C18 door with pediment on consoles,
and elaborate fanlight over. Roofs pegtiled, with 2 red brick chmimney
stacks on each ridge.
Inside good stairs, bracketted tread ends and mahogany hand rail.
Of 5 bays, timber framed and weatherboarded, central midstrey. One
aisle. Jowled main posts, roof with wind-braced side purlins. Roof
iron. Bladed scarf joints.
||C18 and earlier
house of one long range. Timber framed and rendered. Existing
windows casements, 3 dormers on front slope of roof which is ridged
Red brick chimney stack off centre, on ridge line. L-plan.
House, late medieval. Timber framed
and rendered with plain tile roofs. Single storey with attic; 2
storey cross wing to Yorklette Cottage.
Built as hall house, then divided
into two cottages in the C18. Former hall and upper end contained
in Yorklette Cottage to the north; the crosswing of two bays, rear
roof of cross wing gableted; inserted floor in hall with stop chamfered
C16 floor joists,
Fomer parlour/solar with wall of
exposed framing and tension bracing to former hall. Cross wing has
arch-braced tie beam. Stair opening in floor at NE corner and bridging
joists resting on substantial shaped corbel in south wall. Inglenook
stack on party wall projecting through front slope of roof.
The 1851 Census indicates:
Nathanial Bland aged 34 Shopkeeper
Ann Bland aged 43
Thomas Bland (Widower and Lodger) aged 77
The adjacent property is Mount Cottage
, which has break in the roof line. Broad gabled dormers to each
may date to the C17. Ridge stack to Mount Cottage. External stack
to left return. Each cottage with a catslide roof rear dormer.
Evidence of C17 work in parlour of Mount Cottage, chamfered beam
with ogee stop.
notable properties in Mount Bures.
The land on which this property stands
can be traced back to 1501 when the Tenement was held by John Intelsham.
In the past this propertry had some
20 acres of land attached.
Eventually Rumpes cottage with only
5 acres left, was sold to Greene King in 1890 as it backed onto
the Thatchers Arms. In 1961 the cottage was purchased back from
the Brewery and the family name still carries on today as the current
|Records date this property
or land back to 1505, when Thomas Bene was instructed to clear the
This modern house was built after
the original Wellhouse Farmhouse was demolished in the early 1950`s
together with the Windmill.
Early Wellhouse dates back to circa
Josselyns is a timber framed building
originally built on a medieaval plan with parlour, hall and service
It was originall called "Old
Worshippes" and dated back to circa 1526.
Most probably renamed to the current
Josselyns by John Josselyn who owned the property in 1742.
All images taken from Google Street Map.
ECC Records Office Sept 03
Listed by ECC Heritage Dept 2006