The church of ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST is
built of rubble with Roman tile and ash dressings and has a chancel
with north vestry, a central tower with shingled spire and short transepts,
and a nave with a south porch.
The "Victoria History of the Counties of England" document
a possible date when it was founded of 1059
The nave is probably late 11th-century and has an original north doorway
and three windows, one blocked. The central tower was of similar date
and the chancel was rebuilt in the 14th century. The south doorway and
west window of the nave are also 14th-century, the porch and south window
in the nave are 15th-century.
The Church is conventionally described as Norman. The church is of brick
and stone with a tiled roof with Norman features
Dating the Church
A 1705/6 manuscript contains the answer
to this question: "No augmentation since its foundation which was
in the year 1059 as appeareth on the porch"
This was confirmed by "Morant" who stated:"at the top
of the porch on the outside there was formerly a stone about eight inches
square with the date MLIX. But now the stone is missing"
Morant would have been talking to Philip Gurdon, the Rector who had
not seen the stone himself as he stated in a letter dated 1763.
Such a stone must once have been placed on the original nave wall, probably
above the door at the rear of the porch.
Whoever removed or covered the stone between 1706-34 done so through
ignorance or indifference.
(Read more in "Mount Bures its lands and its People" by
In 1633 the church and tower windows
Circa 1600, Richard Symonds ( 1617 -1692)
Ecclesiological Notes describe:
"In this churchyard stands a little Chapel in the Nor`side of
the Church built of stone. Playnely in former times a Chantry House,
but now turned into two tenements in the incumbants disposinge...Master
The Rectory records indicate John Simpson
was Rector 1648 -1675. The question being why was there a Chapel in
the Church grounds ?
In 1707 there were cracks in the wall on both sides of the north door
and in the west wall which required urgent attention.
In 1770 the spire was taken down and
the tower heightened. The church was restored in 1875 and again in 1908
During the 1875 restoration, Thomas Harris took down the dilapidated
central tower and replaced the spurious 1770 parapet tower with the
"Sussex" type beech construction which we can still see today.
When the tower was taken down, wall paintings were discovered at the
east end of the nave on the south wall, probably representing St Mary
the Virgin .
In 1552 and 1768 there were four bells
in the tower, but two were sold in c1770. The two bells remaining, date
back to 1460 and 1407.
Over the porch, their is a tablet dated
1564 with a benefactors name of "Love"
Nothing odd in that, except "Love" was a beggar and a very
successful one. When he died he left a sum of money to the 12 parishes
that had supported him throughout his life on the road.
The wooden church chest is of the 16th
century. The church plate included a silver cup and paten of 1641, were
stolen circa 1993.
On a census Sunday in 1851 (see
also Hope Baptist) there were attendance's of 50 in the morning
and 94 in the afternoon out of a population of 279.
In 1959 a stone statue of St. John the Baptist by B. Dobson was placed
in a niche over the high altar on the north side.
The two bells remaining in 1996 were
both of the 15th century, one by Robert Burford, and one about 60 years
later by Henry Jordan.
prior to restoration in 1875.
Historical information for
all of these pages has been obtained from these sources:-
The original tower, being so close to the `motte` next door could
well have been a replacement for the timber tower which once stood
on the summit.An iron age burial ground was also found near the railway.
There is still roman brick in the quoins (corners) of the church chancel
The Nave has some features dating back to the 12th century. The porches,
doors and font have their origins in the 15th cent.
The Church still maintain records dating back to 1540 for Baptisms,
1546 for Burials and 1558 for Marriages.
St Johns 1920
Bible laying on the Lectern, dated
This is a fascinating Church with a wealth of history and well worth
a visit, The highlight of the Church`s year is the wonderful Festival
of Flowers held during the June.
by Suffolk artist,
"Mount Bures, its Lands and People" by Ida McMaster & Kathleen
"The Victoria History of the Counties (Essex) of England, Vol X"
by the University of London.
"The Heart of our History" by Ashley Cooper
updated 06/07/2017, 1920 images sourced English Heritage
updated 30/07/19: Bible