Mount Bures Community Web Site


 




Local Information on Mount Bures

 

 

sign
map

The main B1508 (red)Bures to Colchester road was mentioned as far back as 1494. The road running south to Chappel (blue)was also recorded in 1505.
Local footpaths are coloured green

In the mid 19th century there were the usual village wheelwrights and blacksmiths. Documented in 1857, near to the railway crossing was a beer shop and general store, known today as `Yorklettes Cottage`.

Now in the 21st century, the only retail outlet is the Thatchers Arms.

The Water Tower on the southern edge of the village was built in 1947 to supply piped water to the local population. Electricity also came to the parish in the same year.

 

The population in 1901 was registered as 220, by 1991 this had decreased by just one to 219. The parish has no main focus of settlement, but many scattered small settlements around tyes or greens, like Downing Tye, Mount Green, Janks Green, Valley Green and Piotts Green, suggesting early woodland clearance. The village we see today, may not have existed at this location many decades ago.(More Info)

The houses and farmsteads are mostly scattered through the parish. One of the buildings in the village, (the Old House) a timberframed building of the early 16th century, originally had a public room probably for courts or guild meetings.
Although Mount Bures is predominately a farming community it can claim some notoriety -
John Constable the celebrated landscape artist`s, Great Grandfather was born in Mount Bures.