Bures Community Web Site
The Thomas Love Charity
Mount Bures is one of the 12 Parishes who`s householders
are entitled to the proceeds of this charity
Thomas Love, a beggar amassed a considerable fortune from
his stop -watch professional begging.
He was so predictable that residents knew within the day
and hour when there would be a knock at the door.
He directed that on his death,
the interest derived from this money
should be spent within the villages who had
been so kind to him and where his alms were collected.
|This plaque stand
above the porch door to St Johns Church in Mount
The twelve parishes
and Lt.Horkesley, Boxted, Langham,Wormingford, Fordham,
Aldham, Lexden, W.Bergholt, Mount Bures, Ardleigh
was Thomas Rich
I can find no personal
records of Thomas online.
We do know his family emigrated from France in 1307.
Ref:- Thomas Rych
married daughter of Fisher; died before father; will
Son Thomas Rych, baptized at Lexden, 7 March 1567
So here we have father and son, the son would have
been to young so it must have been Thomas Snr who
is dealing in land purchases.
wealthy family, having their own coat of arms.
Extracts from local books referring to Thomas Rich
Shrebb we now know as Shrub End.
Here we see the Rich family acquiring land, cannot
substantiate its our Thomas
Love in his will dated 1564 gave by his will the sum
of £120 to Thomas Rich in trust for which he
was to pay £6.00 a year to the poor or until
such time that he should buy land and then the yearly
rent from that, should be distributed on Shrovetide
to the 12 parishes he frequented" -
Taken from the Book "Hundred of Lexden"
Thomas Rich subsequently purchased the land at Lexden,
to the west of Colchester.
was this land Purchased
of this land could well have been circa 1570,
if we take this text from the "History
of the County of Essex - Colchester"
by will dated 1565, gave to Thomas Rich £120
to buy land to provide a yearly rent of £6
for the poor of Lexden and 11 other parishes,
and Rich, by will dated 1570, endowed the
charity with land in Lexden.
of Rent before the Land Sale
of the rent from this land amounted to £14.
6s 2d per parish which took place at Shrovetide.
(Today we know Shrovetide as Shrove Tuesday
or the first day of Lent)
From County records,
we know the income from the land was £6
in 1626, £12 in 1676, £24 in 1786,
and £30 in 1828 until 1842
Lexden's share was usually distributed in bread
with Swinnerton's charity.
was this 26 acres of land ?
References to the location of Loves Land:
Essex County Records
Document D/DU 728/4
Dates of Creation 1862
Deed of Field called
10 acre Field on S. side of Lexden Road, Lexden
subject to right of pasture from Lammas (August
1st) to Candlemas (February 2nd), property of
the trustees of Love's Charity of parishes of
Great and Lt.Horkesley, Boxted, Langham,Wormingford,
Fordham, Aldham, Lexden, W.Bergholt, Mount Bures
and Ardleigh, and Nayland, Suffolk, formerly property
of Colchester Corporation.
County Records Document:- D/DU
870/2 Deeds of lands
Dates of Creation 1779-1908
Comprising Lexden Park
in Lexden: , West on lands belonging to Loves
Charity and East on lands of Colchester
2 parcels called Fowles lands or new field on
North side of highway from Colchester to Lexden
Street (8 acres and 6 acres); 2
further parcels on North side of said high road
called Loves Land, abutting Holly Lodge (London
County Records Documents D/DEI T405
Grant and Conveyance of Right of Common
over Field part of Love's Land
15th February 1843
that piece or parcel of land commonly
called or known by the name of Love's
Land situate lying and being in the Field
in Lexden aforesaid bounded on the North
by the Road leading from Colchester to
Lexden on the East by Land formerly belonging
to Thomas Anderson afterwards to Alexander
Fordyee Miller then to Henry Hayward and
now to Henry Vint Esquire on the South
by Land late belonging to John William
of Lands as Nursery Garden ground situate
at Lexden for a term of 10 years from
30th October 1882
those two pieces or parcels of land (being
part of Loves Charity Land) situate lying
and being in the parish of Lexden in the
County of Essex on the North side of the
road leading from Colchester to London
and containing twelve acres or thereabouts
as the same lands were together late in
the occupation of William Fenner
may have been on Lexden Heath which was
annexed (bought!) in 1820/1 by the multiple
landowners of Lexden, G R Errington and
J Papillon, when common land in the area
was enclosed in great quantity. Between
them they acquired over 2,000 acres of
Heath was a large area of common land
used for grazing, horse races and military
camps; it was enclosed by Act of Parliament
This enlarged the estate of the Lord of
the Manor, the Reverend John Rawstorn
Papillon, who was an acquaintance of Jane
Austen and whose niece married Jane's
Road was created at this time to make
a way across the new enclosure's to the
hamlet of Shrub End, which became a separate
parish in 1845
of the Lexden History Group
the above references it mentions "bounded
on the North by the Road leading from
Colchester to Lexden"
This would be the road indicated in
blue on the above map
Heath area centered on the junction
with Straight Rd and London Rd.
Heath Road still exists today, but Heath
Farm long sinced demolished for housing
Park is situated around the Church
Lane area of Colchester
essence there was not one parcel of land
but two or more.
was the land sold and the proceeds gave to Charity
(a) Quote:- This
legacy laid out in the purchase of about 26
acres of land in Lexden, close to the town of
Let for £30 a year from 1828 to 1842;
but now greatly increased in value being in
great demand for building purposes.
(b) In Whites
Directory, the charity is listed in all 12 parishes
Road was created at this time to make a way
across the new enclosure's to the Hamlet of
Shrub End, which became
a separate parish in 1845.
I think we can
safely say the land was sold between 1842
and 1848, perhaps even earlier ( 1842
- 1845) as Straight Road was constructed
was it Sold
was expanding and now extending out to the new
suburbs of Shrub End and Bottle End ( South
Consequently, land around Lexden in the early
1880`s was now in high demand and the value
Like todays land speculators, it was now an
ideal time to sell and take a profit from the
original £120 invested
much did the sale realise financially
When the land
was sold in the mid 1800`s, the sum raised was
£5926.17.9d, which was subsequently invested
in 3 per Cent Consolidated Bonds.
of the finances
This money was
divided up and shared
out amongst the 12 parishes.
Speculation:- each parish received
nearly £600 to be invested in the Consolidated
Bonds, each having their own "Loves Charity
with a local Board of Trustees"
In 1992, the
Mount Bures parish share of the charity
was £13, distributed amongst the elderly
pensioners not owning their own home.
It was left to
particular parishes to decide how the yearly
donation was to be distributed.
Great Horkesley distributed the fundsi
n 1990 to those parishioners, again not owning
their own homes to 11 people at £5 each
The share belonging to Aldham was shared
among the poor parishioners in 1830 at £2.10
Subsequent years it was distributed as bread
Little Horkesley distributed £7
in 1864 and £50 in 1992
Local "Love Charities" were not obliged
to keep the money in these Bonds, but use their
own discretion to obtain the best interest rate.
Typically Easy Access investments during 2011
- 2014 only realised around a 1% interest rate
One parish has only £140 in the fund,
so at 1% interest, that is only achieving an
addition of £1.40 year.
I suspect this is why most of the parishes have
seen their capital diminish to such an unsustainable
By 2014, most parishes were considering winding
up the Charity
Information on some of the local charities
Emphasis in Mount Bures was given to donating
money to those parishioners who lived in council
Houses or tithe cottages.
However, with a combination of low income and
now with very few needy parishioners only one
recipient received any funds
During the latter years the income derived from
the charity has gradually diminished to a very
low level, making it difficult to offer any serious
financial gift to the needy.
During the earlier years it is documented that
there were gifts donated in severe cases of hardship
for items such as, coal, shoes and clothing. These
seem to be "one off" issues where hardship
of one kind or another was being experienced by
some individuals and the charities help
Where funds were available, it helped out a good
number of people during the Christmas period.
money was invested at some time in the history
of this charity, in government bonds. These
were subsequently, in more modern
times, cashed in and the money raised, invested
in a Trustees Savings Bank account and later
this was transferred to a Post Office Savings
This is an extract
from the records the Trustees hold, which date
back to 1938.
The first entry
in the record of 1938 was to give 34
gifts of eight shillings and one of £1
to recipients who were deemed as in need at
The total given at this time was therefore just
Subsequently, in 1939 this was repeated
to 36 recipients.
Later, in 1957, 23 gifts of 10 Shillings were
In 1966 21 gifts of £1, 10shillings
In 1971 28 gifts of £1.50p were
In 1977 24 gifts of £2 were given.
In 1982 12 gifts of £5 were given.
In 1988 11 gifts of £5 were given.
In 1993 11 gifts of £5 were given.
In 1999 7 gifts of £5 were given.
In 2003 6 gifts of £5 were given.
It can be seen that as the value of money increase,
proportionately the number of recipients diminishes.
to Brian Drury, Trustee at Gt Horkesley for
kindly donating this information
share was usually distributed in bread with Swinnerton's
In 1964 Lexden received £11 4s. 8d. from
the two charities which was distributed in gifts,
and a similar sum in 1990.
Both the parishes of Mount Bures and Gt Horkesley are
now in the situation that the income derived from their
investments has fallen to such
an extent, consideration may have to be made about its
long term future.
It would be interesting to know if the other ten parishes
are in the same predicament, but that requires far more
time than I have to spare.
would £120 be worth today
King Edward IV borrowed money but left £140 in
Obviously there is no definitive answer to what that
£120 is worth today, but this gives you some idea.
As reported in The
Times, , New College, Oxford has found in its archives
that, on 18th July 1461, King Edward IV borrowed 240
The King repaid 100 pounds but the balance has remained
outstanding ever since.
Experts busily calculated
the sum in today's terms. One person estimates 400,000
pounds (excluding interest) based on a comparison
of wheat, hay, slate and brick prices.
A second person (a stockbroker who referred to the
Bank of England's table of equivalent values of the
pound from the year 1270) reckons a more conservative
(a) Aldham, Gt Horkesley, Lt Horkesley, Langham,
West Bergholt and Ardleigh parish web sites
(c) STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT
Link to:- http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Result_Details.aspx?DocID=802198
(d) British History-on-line
(e) Colchester and
Essex Record Office, Colchester and North-East Essex
Thomas Love's Charity, Langham: misc papers c1734-1915
(D/DJ; C 114
(f)SEAX - Essex
County Records at Chelmsford have the reference D/DEI
T405 as giving the deeds and details of the bequeathed
"Deeds of Lands in Lexden belonging to Love's
Charity (12a) Common of pasture on Love's Land and
They also say see D/DEI T51 -
(g) reference to
Thomas Rych or Rich
(1) John Rawston Papillon, inherited lands
from his godmother and second cousin once removed.
Buried at Lexden in 1837 bequeathing
his lands to his wife Elizabeth
(2) Thomas Rich
was born on Lexden before 1533, with date unknown
for his death
and Governance in Tudor Colchester"
Alderman Robert Leche, John Bird and
Draper Robert Middleton were also buying up
Chantry Lands. Lexden lands were sold to
Thomas Rich and in 1552 three more local men,
Richard Godfrey, William Peverell and Robert Lambert
were also buying up land
These two references
confirm that in the Lexden area, at least seven gentlemen
of wealth were purchasing land during the mid 1500`s
Would we call them today "land speculators ?"
I am endeavouring to locate the exact area of land in Lexden
from the Essex
Alan Beales, John Cowlin and Liz White from the Lexden History
Brian Drury from Gt. Horkesley.....09/02/2014
Essex Records Office, Jane Bass...27/02/2014