Mount Bures Community Web Site
The material for this page has been researched from many sources. However it`s conclusion, is speculation and cannot be proved one way or the other. Short extracts taken from the book:-
"The Manor of Mount Bures at 1086" by S Walker 1995.
When we speak of
a Manor, it would not be a single building such as we think of today.
It would consist of a court, the village buildings, church, watermill
and the lord of the manor`s farm.
Archaeological survey work on mediaeval villages usually find the buildings arranged along a road, or on either side of it, This was often a crossroads, perhaps around a green, This green would have been to site for various village activities such as a meeting place or a cattle enclosure.
Secondly the village
was sited near to the source of water, a spring, pond or stream.
Taking all the evidence into account, there are only two practical positions for the village if it is to meet all the criteria so far given. That is, buildings arranged along a roadway, at a junction, a level site for cultivation, a good water supply and ease of access to arable fields.
On the map below
The site near to `Josselyns` has ease of access to the fields, but it is at the hilly end of the valley. It is difficult to visualise the farmer ploughing with oxen on these undulating fields.
The other site near to `Elms Farm` is the preferred site, being on fairly level ground. Half a mile walk to the River Stour and a direct route to the church. This does mean accepting the roads and tracks we see today, being in existence in 1086,
Mount Bures as we
know it today, lies outside this area. It is not central
within an open plan field system.