In 1254 the Rectory was valued at 100s,
but there is also reference to a Vicarage at the same time valued at
The Church was worth £5.6s 8d, with all three fees payable to
(Ref:- The Victorian History of the Counties of England)
The glebe was mentioned in 1494 and the
rectory house in 1565. In 1610 The rectory contained about twenty acres
of glebe [or church] land attached, which the rector was allowed either
to farm himself or to sub-let.
The Old Rectory has a timber-framed three-bayed north front, dating
from the early 18"' century, but may well mask a house of a much
A terrier [or inventory] of 1610 refers to a Parsonage house, two barns,
and garden and orchard and about twenty acres of Glebe.
It was remodelled when extensive new service quarters in red brick were
built to the south in the early 19" century.
ln 1848 there were twenty-five acres of Glebe situated west and north
west of the dwelling and this was still attached in 1898.
A century later, in 1996, about eleven acres of the glebe adjoining
the house were sold.
The remainder, in two parcels near the river, was leased out by the
church the following year.
From the list below, it`s difficult to
ascertain which Clergy lived at the Rectory
eg:- Philip Gurdon (1734) lived in the Bures St Mary Rectory
Henry Heath 2005, lived in the Rectory, Wormingford
From 1995, the Clergy were now having to manage three parishes, Mount
Bures, Wormingford and Little Horkesley
Rectors are recorded from 1361, some
of them non-resident or pluralists.
Research by Rev John Chandler
Crockfords Clerical Directory
Clergy of the Church of England database
Rev John Woodruffe of Cranham
son Rev Thomas Woodruffe, sold the advowson to John Brett
John Brett of Wakes Colne
the position until 1873
Rev Nathaniel Davies from Norfolk
purchased by A, E. Lefroy, London Barrister in 1893
|1881 Rev Nathaniel Davies
||The 1881 Census reports
that his son was the Curate, together with a boarding student of
law living the Rectory
The rectory employed three Servants, wheras "The Hall"
only employed one.
A.E Lefroy, London Barrister
sold the Rev A. G. Maitland of Dudley (Worcs) 1901
Rev A G Maitland
to T W Watson 1904
gave the property to Emily Davies
Privately owned by Emily Davies
of W Davies of Rushcock (Worcs)
Rev A C Davies
by the son of Emily Davies
1987 Rev Davies
"gave" the property to
Keble College, Oxford
what, the property or the advowson ?
( needs more research)
It would appear
even today, Keble College lists Mount Bures as one of its parishes.
patronage right has been suspended for the following benefices:
Wormingford, Mount Bures and Little Horkesley;
Extract from "The Keble Record 2009"
The following priests have been licensed or appointed to Keble
The Reverend John Chandler to the Benefice of Wormingford and
Mount Bures with
Extract from "The Keble Record 2013/14"
St Andrew, White
Colne and the Halstead Area Team Ministry
St John the Baptist, Mount Bures
Extract from the "Keble Parishes Cycle of Prayer"
The Victorian History of the County of Essex
Definition advowson:- (in ecclesiastical law) the right
to recommend a member of the Anglican clergy for a vacant benefice,
or to make such an appointment.
In 1936, the Rector described the parish
as "abnormally difficult, partly because leading parishioners
were not Anglicans"
By 1957. the living was considered unattractive
by prospective incumbants,
because of the poor state of the
Rectory house and the declining population.
Average attendance at St Johns in 1996, were 12 parishioners
The Old Rectory, which was sold c. 1958
when it was considered too large and difficult to maintain,
By 1958 the Rectory
For Sale by Strutt and Parker Estate Agents
Entrance Hall, 3
Reception Rooms, Breakfast Room, Kitchen and Scullery,
5 Bedrooms Dressing Rooms, Bathroom
Outbuildings including Ornate gardens, Paddock
and land approx 15 acres.
Vacant Possession, the House, Glebe Fields and Gardens £3,500
(a)Acknowledgment to the Rev John Chandler & John Cowlin for their
(b)Mount Bures, its land and its peoples by Ida Mcmaster
(c)British History online- Mount Bures Church
(d)A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10..
(e)Keble College Oxford Archives
(f) James and Amanda Gerry, current owners
of the Rectory