Mount Bures Community Web Site


 









The story of WELLHOUSE and the surrounding area


Wellhouse is situated at the end of Peartree Lane.
The Bridleway/Old Lane leads onto Wormingford Airfield

 

 

 

<<<<<<Ref:-Book, Its Land and its People.

Was Wellhouse once the village Centre ?

 

In 1734, Hugh Josselyn owned Wellhouse Farm and no less than eight cottages in the immediate area.
Some of which are on the map above.

 


NW of the Windmill lies Piotts Tye (Field), an area of 3.5acres.
In 1812 this became part of Well House Farm, but it may date back far earlier than that.
Court Rolls in 1381, record that a family called Pylat lived in the area, possibly on this land.

Other records show that by 1493 a small community thrived around Piotts.

Together with the cottages mentioned above, there was also Josselyns, Withers and Nortons farms within the immediate area

We know the current centre of Mount Bures is fairly recent (the buildings in Craigs Lane and around the crossing are just not old enough**) so Piotts may well have been the original centre.

To the left of Piotts Tye lies "Great Common and Little Common Fields together with Common Field lane" - these would again indicate the centre of a community.


Ref:- Mount Bures its land and its People

** With the exception of the "The Hall, Old House ,Yorklettes and Mount Cottage which date no further back than the 16th c

 

(a) Demolished semi-detached cottages


(b) Mill Cottage - Cottage on this land held by John Lorkin, circa 1646.
However, the bunglaow we see today was built around 1830.

1813 Divided into two and sold to Isaac Clover. Isaac presumably constucted the Windmill earlier in 1811.
His son Denis Clover inherited this cottage in 1881, although occupied by Thomas Doe
(Ref:-Ida McMaster)

Thomas Doe recorded as miller and shopkeeper in 1848 - was this cottage his shop ?

Modernised in 1947 and now the home of David and Gillian Cowlin.
At one time this was the Post Office and General Store. Even today you can see the outline of the Shop Door at the front of the property, where it was subsequently bricked up and rendered.


(c) Demolished property circa 1838, with garden, orchard and pasture of 2 acres.
Records indicate Thomas Kerrington held the property in 1627


(f) Demolished Cottage called Scotts with orchard.
Records indicate held by Edward and John Nolling 1727



(g)Demolished property circa 1838 with one acre of land


WellHouse:- Farmhouse built circa 1760.
However, records show that in 1577 this land was owned by Wormingford Manor and may have had property attached.


Plans were lodged with Lexden District Council in 1945 for the modernisation of the Farmhouse (REF:- D/RLw Pb1/3688)by a Mr Spalding, the owner. However, these were never implemented.
Ref:- Essex Records Office, seax.

It was subsequently
demolished around 1950, most probably the same time as the Mill.
Now in private residence.

The address on the late 1800 census records show the location of the Mill in Fordham Road. This would have been correct as this road continued to Fordham village until the airfield arrived and it was destroyed.
As many as 7 small farms may have been lost when this was constructed.

Records indicate in 1734 .."it seems as thought Samuel Rush held five of them"

Today known as "Old Lane" leads onto Wormingford Airfield

Ref (a) and (b):- David Cowlin.
Remainder Ref Ida McMaster:- Mount Bures, Its Land and its People.

 

 

 




Photographs courtesy of Peter Wills, London
Taken by his father whilst cycling around the area during 1937.

The most notable structure at Wellhouse until it was demolished in the early 1953, was the Post Mill.

It was first recorded by Essex County Council in 1811, so we can assume that date is accurate

During circa 1825 to 1840 it was owned by Isaac Clover of the well known Clover Milling family.
Ref:- K G Farries, Essex Windmills, Millers And Millwrights
See the History of the Mill for more detailed information

It was later taken over by "Doe`s", ( circa 1841) a distant relative of todays Agricultural Engineers.

Steam powered in 1886 and oil by 1929

Doe's mill, just north of Wellhouse farm at Piotts Green, was a postmill recorded from 1811 which survived until 1953; it was using steam in 1886, and oil by 1914
Ref:-http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15163

Clover Connection -

Henry Clover born in Mount Bures dated 1810 moved to St Pancras in
1851 (aged 41) as baker and journeyman.
Presumably he had Milling experience in Mount Bures before moving to London

Issac Clover listed in 1881 as living in Sudbury aged 65 as Miller
Emily Clover 39 daugh
Anna Clover 30 daugh
Isaac Clover 25 miller


Courtesy of Ancestry.com

Courtesy of David Cowlin
Date unknown
Must have been between 1937 and 1953

MOUNT BURES, Doe's Mill, (Post Mill)
These are observations made and recorded from these sources:-
(a) K G Farries, Essex Windmills, Millers And Millwrights (5 volumes, Charles Skilton 1981 (vol 1), 1982 (vol 2), 1984 (vol 3), 1985 (vol 4), 1988 (vol 5))
(b) ERO = Essex Record Office
(c) NMR = National Monument records
(d) UOK = University of Kent
(e) Turpin = Book author

However, some of these entries are blatantly incorrect such as (2) and (3) as we know the Mill was demolished in 1953

MOUNT BURES, Doe's Mill, Post Mill;
(1) "Farries" derelict with 4 sails, 1936
(2) "Farries" tail wheel on ground, 1960
(3) "NMR" windshaft and tailwheel, 1960
(3a) "NMR" derelict with 4 sails, April 1933

(4) "UOK" derelict with 4 sails, April 1936
(5) "ERO" derelict with 4 sails, as Farries derelict with 4 sails derelict but complete apart from damaged sail (no date)
(6) "TC" except for one damaged sail, 21st June 1920
(7) "Col.l" becoming derelict with 4 sails (no date)
(8) "Turpin" derelict with 4 sails, 1930s

(9) "ERO" derelict with 4 sails, June 1920
derelict with 4 sails, April 1936
derelict with 4 sails, July 1932
roundhouse, lower breast and part of sail, April 1936
windshaft and tailwheel on ground, 1960
derelict with 4 sails, c1930?
derelict with 4 sails derelict with 4 sails, c1935
derelict with 4 sails, c1938

http://www.guyblythman.com/page11.htm

 



The Old Mill Bunglow - Item (b) on the map

Location of Windmill - in the left field, directly in front of the
New Wellhouse property.

New Wellhouse

Old Wellhouse, demolished 1950

Grindstone from the Mill,
used as a shed step at the Old Mill Cottage

Grindstone from the Mill, location restricted

Current properties at Wellhouse

Additional photographs of the Mill

The History of the Mill

Doe`s Census Reports

Acknowledgement to David Cowlin for his valuable assistance
Also historical data from Ida McMasters Book
- Mount Bures, Its Land and its People.